
"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"
(from "Sick" by Shel Silverstein)
one of my all-time favorites. annie had to stay home from school today due to fever. and i say "had to" because she was NOT down with that plan. i said "honey, you can't go to school today, you have a fever" and she said "noooooooooooooooo! i want to go to schooooool!" i'm going to remember that one forever cause i'm sure in 7 years she'll be over that.
honestly, these babies of ours will not stop being sick. i'm starting to get really bored with it. which reminds me of a funny story:
so monday we were at the doc making sure jasper was well, and there was a little boy in the waiting room - i'd say he was about 6. the nurse came and called his name and his mom was trying to hurry him up and get him to move and he was like "i don't want to get a shot! i don't want a shot! shots are so bowing." just like that. so matter-of-fact. shots are bowing. cause he can't say "r". i love it. and it is so true. shots are boring.


2 comments:
That is one of my all time favorite poems also. I remember it from 2nd grade. I hope you all get well soon, being sick is bowing. Love, Aunite Nicki
get well soon sweetie!!! we send a bunch of hugs!!! you can share one with jasper too =)
Post a Comment