4.15.2008

Hostile Takeover

today's blog is being brought to you by the letter J. that is, my little bro the rocket-scientist (he loves it when i do that), Jay. he and his wifey sarah were here this past weekend visiting from california. the stay was far too brief, but we packed a lot of good times and as he will attest, good eats, into the weekend. and now, without further ado...i give you jay's weekend recap.


Sarah and I arrived in Houston on Friday afternoon. Gina and the kids came and picked us up in the truck – my sister truly is a Texan now. The ride home was hilarious. Annie was so adamantly hiding from us with her hands in front of her face that she put herself to sleep. Jasper, while not hiding, regarded us coolly for the ride.

Once we arrived home things loosened up considerably. In fact, after that point I’m not sure that Annie stopped talking/giggling or that Jasper stopped smiling for the rest of the weekend. It’s amazing how a little time changes so much with kids this age. The last time Sarah and I saw Annie and Jasper was at our wedding last September, and the difference is remarkable. Jasper, for one, has changed from just being a chill and happy baby, to being a chill, happy, starting to talk, smiley, giggly, funny little guy. Annie’s personality has just continued to grow, as has her vocabulary. It’s hard to say either of them has gotten cuter since they both started pretty high on that scale, but they haven’t gotten less cute, that is for sure. The pictures we’ve all seen here prove that.

Back at the Johnston pad, Addison met us there and quickly took me for a round of disc golf with Larry. Sarah and Gina chilled at the shack and we made it back soon for dinner – a beautifully grilled salmon. After dinner we ended up hanging out around chatting and drinking over the kitchen sink, which Gina was happy about. It gave her an excuse to buy bar stools or something.

The culinary delights continued Saturday morning (after Annie woke Sarah and I up at 7:30 – waaaay after the sun came up) when Gina made us eggs benedict with the health food hollandaise sauce. YUM. I could have eaten at least fourteen or fifteen of those babies, but I didn’t want to die of a massive coronary in my sister’s new house.

At one point on Saturday afternoon, I was sitting in the old turquoise/sea foam green chair that used to be at the Deerfield house, trying to read The Dangerous Book for Boys, when Annie came and informed me, “That’s myyy library book.” Normally, being the good godfather I am, I would gladly surrender the book, but at this particular moment I was trying to read a summary of the strategies used by Napoleon, and I didn’t really want to stop (as an aside, Gina, I hope you weren’t kidding about buying me that book for Christmas). So I responded, “I’m sorry Annie, but this book is for boys. See? It says it right here on the cover, for boys.”
“Yeah,” says Annie, pointing to the word dangerous on the cover, “But right here it says, five girls.” I immediately relinquished the book. The profundity of her argument was more on Napolean’s level than my own. She deserved it.

Saturday night was the big birthday celebration for Niki. I think she’s 28 now? We went to dinner in Houston at Fuad’s. That is F-wah-d-s. I dunno where the name came from, but it felt like we were in a mafia hang out, and it was fantastic. If this wasn’t a family blog I would tell about how the waiter made Niki smash some kind of nutshell and there was a condom inside… like I said: fantastic. Plus we had bananas foster for dessert.

Sarah and I had to leave Sunday, but not before continuing the binge eating. This morning we started with Kolaches, which are a delicious invention involving an unglazed donut stuffed with a hot dog, jalapeƱo peppers, and cheese. Do I even still have arteries at this point?

Soon enough we were off to the airport. The trip was ridiculously fast, but equally as fun. Annie, Jasper, Gina and Addison – Thanks for the great weekend! We can’t wait to see you again.

Love,
Uncle Jay

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I love that Jay did your blog. i miss him so much it physically hurts. And Sarah..I could eat her. Thank goodness I'm starting a diet Monday. Again. Wish we could've been there...love you guys!

Anonymous said...

You had to add the "celebration" photo
We had soooo much fun with ya'll thank you for the visit
Niki